Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sara Papudi

Sara papudi is among the heavenly recipes (Mahaprasad) offered at Lord Jagannath Temple, Puri...
It is a melt in mouth type desert, prepared from thick creams...cream is known as sara in oriya, so the name is sara papudi...i had it long back during my childhood,but never forgot the taste..so today im sharing this yummy desert of my Lord with all of u..:-)

Ingredients

1 litre Milk
50 gm Ghee
100 gm thick milk
U can also use condensed milk of same amount as me..:-)
Sugar Cardamom powder

Method

Place the milk in a heavy buttomed pan. Boil in low flame, add the thick milk.
Cook the milk until a thick layer of cream/malai/sara forms on top.
Skim of the cream and continue the process till no more cream is formed.
Now the consistency of milk is thicker.
Cook it further by stirring continuously in low flame until it'll become thick solid in texure.
Switch off the flame and take out the khoa to come to room temperature.
Allow the cream to cool and mix it properly with the khoa.
Then heat little ghee in a pan.
Pour 1 tbsp of the cream mixture to the non stick pan and spread it using wet fingers.
When it is slightly browned, remove it and keep aside.
As these sara papudi are so soft, u must have to take extra care while removing it from the pan.
Sprinkle the sugar cardamom powder over it and keep aside.
Repeat the process till the mixture is over.


Serve hot...U can hav it chilled, but it tastes yumm while hot...soo try it and enjoy..:-)

Traditionally they take out the cream and place layer by layer in the leaf plates or khali(shala Patra plate), wait for it to cool down then cut it in to pieces fry in ghee, sprinkle powder of khanda(a type of sugar derived from sugarcane) and serve to Lord Jagannath. 🙏

They make it in large quantities, so that they can get good amount of thick cream (sara), I didn't use large amount, so added khoa and twisted the recipe a bit for easier use, hope you all will try and enjoy the recipe.❤️

23 comments:

  1. Ummmmm.... though I amn't able to recall surely if I have ever tasted this one at Puri but going by your procedure explained here, I am sure it would be tasting heavenly.... And by the look of it, it seems an easy (though requires a bit pf patience I guess) to prepare sweet dish.
    How I wish I could have this one right now, chutki bajaate hi :D :D Thanks Mugdha for sharing this recipe :))
    Best Wishes :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Reading through the recipe itself I am drooling here...must try it...sounds very very yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the recipe of Mahaprasad. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey this is very nice...it reminds the pithe-puli my mom used to make during makar sankranti...love this a lot :)
    A Girl's Diary
    Event:
    What's On Your Kebab Platter:win a gift

    ReplyDelete
  5. very unique one..pancakes with no flour,sounds delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look creamy n melt in mouth kind delicious ~ reminds me of malpua, thanks for sharing this wonderful authentic recipe Mugdha!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like very authentic recipe. First time coming across such special prasadam and happy to know abt it.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is very new to me...recipe sounds interesting and delicious one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good, I have to try so many of your lovely recipes and this one I think will be the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow hv not heard abt this one. too good..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe is new to me..Looks soft & yummy!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome......Will be trying it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. it really looks like the melt in the mouth kinda dish.. Yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is dish is very new to me...loooks too good..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarapuli is something I'd love to eat! This looks heavenly (maybe that's why it is offered to heavenly Gods, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks super delicious and fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  17. The prasad looks delicious & I can feel the taste of them...

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a new dish to me...thanks for sharing this authentic dish

    -Aarthi @munchmunchcrunchcrunch

    HLI-DATES

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarpuli is one of my favourites anytime...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My first time here. .Loved the dessert :)
    You have a wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Mugdha
    How are you? I have never eaten this one...I ate Baleswar Malpua made from very thin Maida+ milk Batter ..I shall try your recipe , it is new for me...I think I should be able to remove the sarapuli with a cooking chop stick...
    need to generate some Malai

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really a yummy dish..thanks for sharing..will must try it

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for visiting my blog,your comments will be more helpfull for me...Hope to see U again...:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget