Saturday, May 14, 2011

Potol Korma

I dont know why my post of potol korma with all its comments given by my friends has been deleted by blogger...really sad about it...so posting it again...

Potol Korma is a very tasty recipe popularly made in marriages,parties, and receptions in my state Odisha,India..here in this recipe, we used the whole potol/parwal to cook in a very rich and spicy gravy..



Ingredients

5-6 Potol/Parwal
2 medium onions-chopped
1 tomato-chopped
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1-2 tbsp curd-beaten
Salt to taste
ghee/oil

Garam masala paste:-
1'' cinnamon
2-3 cloves
2-3 green cardamom
1-2 black cardamom
2-3 black pepper

Method

Wash, cut the ends of the parwal and peel skin.
Then slit each potol in lengthwise and marinate it with turmeric powder and salt.
Keep aside for 15-20 min.
Heat ghee/oil and fry the parwal till light brown. Keep aside.


In the same oil add 1-2 tsp of sugar and wait until the sugar has turned into a rich brown syrup.
Now fry onion in that oil till medium brown. Add ginger-garlic paste, and fry for a minute.
Add red chili, turmeric,  cumin and coriander powder. Fry for a mniute.
Add tomato and fry in medium heat, adding little water (to prevent sticking) till oil starts coming out.
Add fried parwal.
Add salt, garam masala paste, coconut milk and beaten curd. Bring to boil. Add water if necessary.
Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 min. or till gravy thickens.

Serve hot with nan/paratha/pulao/rice/roti.

10 comments:

  1. OMG, I had totally forgotten about this. My mom used to make bharwa potol with some gravy and I loved it. It has been ages since I had it. This curry reminds me of that, just that the gravy is slightly different, specially the addition of yogurt to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe.Bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Recipe shared by you Mugdha , I am Anil Kumar Jha , your FB Tasty Foods group friends , there also you posted this recipe but you wanted to visit your blog and comment , so I am writing here only ;

    Rich potol recipe , generally we cut potol into pieces and then prepare but this one is special as full potol is prepared , thanks dear for sharing the delicious stuff .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mugdha..thanks for dropping by. I liked your blog and this potol korma looks really good. I am making it very soon . I love regional recipes and your blog seems to be having many...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ~ I love parwal cooked this way- have one in my drafts too :) That rich gravy with the fab red color is tempting me a lot :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wat a delicious korma,the colour itself makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  7. we also cut potol in this style for some recipes. The gravy looks tempting and rich

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mugdha
    I am sure you are enjoying the Calcutta Patol. I like this recipe. I never tried with coconut milk and also I like the use of Garam masala paste and sugar to caramelize ...WIll try soon.
    I am off blog and will be so for some time. But will read all recipes
    Bhala thiba

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, yummy recipe! First time here in your blog and absolutely love your collection of recipes. Looking forward to visiting here again soon. Do check out my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your Blog. Thanks to Admin for Sharing this Cooking Idea. Addition to this here I am Contributing one more Similar Stories How to Cook delicious Parwal Vegetable Korma Recipe?.

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for visiting my blog,your comments will be more helpfull for me...Hope to see U again...:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget